After the sudden closure of wakachan.org, I have volunteered to continue hosting the /azu/ board.
This board is running on vichan https://github.com/vichan-devel/vichan/
, a fork of Tinyboard, itself a popular PHP-based replacement to aging imageboard software such as Wakaba. Tinyboard+vichan offers a host of usability features that Wakaba does not. Because no code is shared between these projects, it is not possible to import the old posts. However, I believe the advantages offered by vichan are an acceptable trade-off.
I am in contact with the former administration of wakachan.org to retrieve a backup of /azu/ from before its closure. Pending transfer of the old site data, I will attempt to create a read-only mirror archive of the old site and reinstate the random header images.As a reminder, this is a work-safe board.
This post will be updated with further information as requested.
Additional features available in vichan include the following:
- In addition to the normal Wakaba-style markup, several additional formatting options are available:
- Text can be marked as a spoiler with two percent signs %%: %%Everyone passes their college entrance exams.%% → Everyone passes their college entrance exams.
- Text can be underlined with two underscores __: __Yotsuba&!__ by Azuma Kiyohiko → Yotsuba&! by Azuma Kiyohiko
- Text can be struck out with three underscores ___: ___Why in the heck?___ → Why in the heck?
- A "Spoiler Image" checkbox is provided to replace the thumbnail with a spoiler notice.
- A mobile-friendly layout is available.
- All users are given a unique ID per thread. This allows other users to differentiate all posts by a given IP.
- Tinyboard uses robust anti-spam measures that mitigate the need for Captcha. Regardless, reCaptcha can be enabled if the need arises.
- For advanced users, the vichan API is enabled. See https://github.com/vichan-devel/vichan-API/ for details.
- The image gallery for Nameless Window can be accessed at the "galleries" link at the top of the page.
- Images will expand inline when clicked, rather than opening a new tab.
- Timestamps are displayed in your local time.
- Hovering over a post reference will highlight that post if it is visible in the window. Otherwise, it will appear as a popup next to the cursor.
- You can quickly quote a post by highlighting text and typing immediately after.
- Images can be hidden on an individual basis by clicking on the "hide" link next to the file name, or all at once with the "Hide images" link at the top right of the first post.
- Click on a poster ID to highlight all posts from that IP in the current thread.
- If you have cookies enabled, the author given in your posts is appended with "(You)". This allows you to track your own posts while posting anonymously.
- Threads can be hidden from the thread list by clicking on the [–] to the top left of each thread.
It's good to be home, hopefully everyone finds their way back.
End of an era I guess. Not the only time the board had to move. I hope wakachan at least gives you the board data.
This board was created independently out of a desire to preserve the /azu/ community. I have no means to contact any members of /azu/ other than Ralen, who informed me of wakachan.org's closure directly, nor was I aware of any branches of the larger iichan/Wakachan network that were still operational.
Why did Wakachan suddenly close anyways? 10+ years is nothing to scoff at, so it's kind of sad that it just up and died without warning. It was my favorite imageboard even if it was slower than molasses.
According to the old board's administrator, someone posted something illegal (it's not clear if it was on /azu/ or one of the other wakachan boards) and it the hosts took it offline.
There was the occasional "teen model" spam on /azu/, but I was always quick to delete it and ban the spammer's IP whenever it showed up.
I had been periodically checking for info on the other boards on shanachan after wakachan went down, and found out about idlechan before I found the link to this place.
Doesn't seem like idlechan /azu/ has any traction at all, but it's only a few days old.
I posted a link to this place in the nsfw thread on the shanachan fetish board, but I don't know how many people have seen it.
That's how I got here, as it was the only thing I could think of that would bring me back. I figured that we would probably re-incarnate sooner or later, as we've done it before.
99.5% posters on new /azu/ confirmed perverts.
(Nothing has changed)
As an experiment, all traffic on this site will now be automatically redirected to use HTTPS.
Thanks a lot. Looking forward to that backup
I've made a change to the page header. You may need to clear your cache to see it.
I just found it by searching for "azumanga ralen".
i actually went to relen's tumblr page that he used as a travel to ask where everyone went.
still haven't heard nothin' lol
Did you submit a question? I haven't updated the blog since I got back over a year ago, but I should still get email notifications if someone submits a question.
im sure i did but im new to the site so i don't even know if im supposed to get notified if anyone replied back or not lol
I was thinking about doing that too, but figured that even though it was mostly inactive, I didn't want to ask about /azu/ in case it was more of a personal type blog. I know that most of the /azu/ related stuff was omitted from the blog and just posted in the board.Hopefully these spoiler tags work out. Also Ralen, I kinda miss your blog posts. I hope that's not creepy, but I just found it kinda interesting and refreshing to see what kind of stuff you were up to aside from /azu/
Instead, I ended up just asking in YP. Although I don't really feel great about that either since I hate posting off topic for any board, I'm glad that Gulf Standard was very understanding since he or she comes to /azu/ sometimes too.
I'm not sure why I didn't get an email notification. I just logged in to my tumblr account and I can see your question there.>>184
Any questions go to my private tumblr inbox first, and they only show up on the blog if I post a public response to them. I got a few inappropriate inquiries when I was still maintaining the blog that I never responded to.
For those curious, after 30 days of operation, the largest sources of traffic are, in order, Google searches, Yuri Project, and Idlechan.
Neat. Thanks for putting this back up, I also googled 'azumanga imageboard ralen' to get here haha
Damn, some of the headers are good. How do I go about to download them?
I wandered in via a random Google search for Azumanga Daioh boards. Glad to see it back, and thank you AXYPB.
Does anyone know if the illegal material that killed Wakachan.org was related to the Yotsuba translations, or was it something else?
I don't know what the content was for sure, but I would imagine it was probably porn spam of some sort.
Oh thank god I found this.
This site is hosted free of charge. No financial support will be necessary, but the sentiment is greatly appreciated.
Wow, I hadn't looked at /azu/ for a really long time. So glad to see the community went somewhere else. And there's even a Kagura thread!
The question is why did I continue searching for ralens name after I found where this moved. Also why is my verification image a picture of a fence.
It's a Christmas miracle!
Thank you for your support and everything you've done for this little community. Merry Christmas to you and to everyone on /azu/!
Thanks for having us! I only found this with a Google search for Azu, not Ralen.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
And more Yotsuba.
You might check the gallery on MFC here:http://myfigurecollection.net/picture/&sort=date&search=item%3A193604
Didn't see one with that exact description but there's a few outdoor shots.
Anyone still have any of the images I posted there like Chiyo taking a bite out of a kitten's head, the A-Team and Dr Strangelove parodies or the mirror universe AD?
With apologies for the bump, but…
also: hi, everyone.
I never saw those before. Damn, how I loved the A-Team when I was little.
But recently I tried to watch it again and all my nostalgias got bruises and cuts.
Still, clever pics. Love the あ-Team part.
Unlike the A-Team, I can watch/read Azumanga even after all these years and it's still great. Kagura being Baracus is specially nice because gives new context to this.
I miss you guys ;_;